By taking classes in the summer, incoming freshmen have the opportunity to transition to the expectations of college-level coursework and to begin completing prerequisite major courses, as well as general education requirement courses before the year begins. Smaller classes during Summer Session also mean more one-on-one time with professors and teaching assistants!
To ensure academic success, Freshman Summer Start students will have special access to support from the UCI Learning and Academic Resource Center (LARC). At LARC, students will find many useful academic resources, including study skills workshops and small-group academic assistance. Individual tutoring will also be available to students.
There are different academic offerings depending on the Freshman Summer Start Program pathway that you choose.
As a Freshman Summer Start student, you can take a maximum of two undergraduate courses in Summer Session II.
Enrollment in 6-8 units reflects a full course load in Summer Session.
Course 1 (required)
Enroll in one of the following courses:
- Early Start students enroll in the required course, University Studies 83: Pathways to University Success (2-units). This course is specially designed for Freshman Summer Start students and is only available to students enrolled in the program.
- Early Start International students enroll in University Studies 84 (4-units).
- Summer Bridge students enroll in University Studies 84: Bridges to University Success (4-units).
- Most Early Start students may choose to take an additional 4-unit course from the pre-approved course list for their school (see section to the right).
- As an Early Start International student, you are required to enroll in Academic English 22B: Reading and Vocabulary (2-units).
- As a Summer Bridge student, you are required to enroll in "The Making of Modern Science" as your second course, cross-listed as either Logic & Philosophy of Science 60 or History 60 (4-units) (counts for general education credit in category IV; approved course lists do not apply).
Course Description: UNI STU 83 and 84
The course is designed to help first-year students make a successful transition to the University of California, Irvine and develop strategies that will enhance their University experience. Through lectures, discussion, and course assignments and activities, students will learn about campus resources and programs that support students' transition and enhance their academic development, and will develop a personal action plan to guide their career at UCI.
This course meets Mondays and Wednesdays from 4:00 to 6:20pm.
I have learned so much, and I know that I have such a great advantage over the incoming first years." 2012 Freshman Summer Start Student
Approved Course Lists
These course lists apply only to the Early Start Pathway students.
Find your major and your approved course list in one of UCI’s 14 schools listed below:
- Claire Trevor School of the Arts
- School of Biological Sciences
- The Paul Merage School of Business
- School of Education
- The Henry Samueli School of Engineering
- School of Humanities
- Donald Bren School of Information and Computer Sciences
- Program in Nursing Science
- Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- School of Physical Sciences
- Program in Public Health
- School of Social Ecology
- School of Social Sciences
- Undecided / Undeclared Program
Freshman Summer Start Program is for all new students who will be entering UCI as Freshmen in fall 2013. There are three pathways within Freshman Summer Start; see which of them is best for you...