- How to Register
- Student Profiles
- Academic Calendar
- Waiting list
- Independent Study
- Grade Options & Auditing
- Study Load Limits
- Financial Aid
- How to Activate UCInetID
- Policies & Procedures
How to Officially Drop Courses
If you want to drop a class, please submit and confirm the request online or submit a Course
Change Request Form by the deadlines specified. If you do not submit a course change online or by form by the deadlines specified, a grade or “No Report” notation will appear on your transcript.
Failing to attend class, withdrawing from UCI, stopping payment on checks or credit cards, or submitting checks not honored by the bank does not constitute a proper withdrawal from courses, nor proper cancellation of enrollment. Stopping payment delays the withdrawal process and creates unnecessary problems with student records. Additionally, failing to finalize your Financial Aid award does not constitute a proper withdrawal from courses, nor proper cancellation of enrollment.
Similarly, changes in your Summer student status do not automatically drop you from your Summer courses. This includes rescinded UC admission, withdrawing from a UC, and/or academic disqualification. Students in the aforementioned categories, who no longer wish to be enrolled in Summer Session, must follow standard drop procedures and deadlines for Summer Session.
Please note: The deadline for making course changes without an instructor’s signature is at the end of the first week of instruction for session 1 or 2 and the end of second week of instruction for session 10 week. The deadline for a refund is at the end of the second week of instruction for session 1 or 2 and the end of the fourth week of instruction for session 10 week. Therefore, it is highly recommended that you make any course changes during the first week of instruction for session 1 or 2 and the first two weeks of instruction for session 10 week. For those students making any course changes during the second week of instruction for session 1 or 2 and the third through fourth week of instruction for session 10 week, you must obtain the instructor's signature and submit your form to the Summer Session Office by the deadline. This applies to students who are dropping courses and requesting a refund by the deadline. Summer Session deadlines will be strictly enforced.
8-Unit Fee Incentive Program Participants
UC students participating in the “Pay for Only 8” enrollment incentive program are eligible for a refund if they meet all the following requirements:
- Dropped below 8 units for the entire summer*
- Officially dropped courses by the refund deadline dates posted on the Academic Calendar
- Course fees and all other applicable fees were paid by the student in full
*UC students dropping courses, but maintaining enrollment in 8 or more units are not eligible for a refund, per the 8-unit fee incentive program.
How Your Credit is Refunded
If you paid by debit or credit card and are entitled to a refund, your card will be credited. If you paid with cash, check, money order, or cashier’s check, you will receive a check from the University Accounting Office. Most online requests will be processed immediately. For others, please allow at least 3 weeks for the manual processing of refunds. We will make every effort to ensure the refund is processed within one month. Note: If you are a financial aid student for the summer, paid summer fees out-of-pocket, and are entitled to a refund, your refund will be processed after summer. All students, including Financial Aid students, are subject to the refund deadlines.
- Mandatory campus fee required of all students is non-refundable.
- Course material fees are non-refundable.
- Late fees are non-refundable.
- Returned check fees are non-refundable.
- Course fees become non-refundable after the refund deadline has passed.
- International student fee required of all visiting students is refundable (less $200) if requested in writing by July 7 for Session I and August 18 for Session II.
- Once the I-20 has been sent out to Visiting International students, the $750 enrollment fee is non-refundable.
- Airport pick-up fees for visiting international students are non-refundable.
- Housing placement fees for visiting international students are non-refundable.
- UCI Health Insurance fees are non-refundable for visiting international students.
Deadlines for Course Fee Refunds
|Refund eligible if requested by
|No refunds after